LSVT BIG® is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s-specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD®.
Research suggests that you should NOT wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function, or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical and occupational therapy. LSVT BIG techniques train individuals with Parkinson’s disease and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. This empowers individuals to use the potential they have to keep moving and stay active. It is essential that LSVT BIG treatments are delivered by physical or occupational therapists who are certified in this method.
The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health. Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson’s disease following treatment. Improvements include:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased speed and motion
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol. LSVT BIG treatment consists of:
- 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
- Individual 1-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
LSVT BIG Treatment:
- Trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movements)
- Drives intensive and high-effort practice
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- Empowers people with Parkinson’s disease with their potential to improve!
Nathan Missler, OTR/L, CHT, is an LSVT BIG Certified Clinician. He has extensive experience in caring for patients with Parkinson's disease and will work with you to tailor a treatment plan to your individual needs.
LSVT BIG will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life!
To learn more about LSVT BIG or to schedule an appointment, please call 907.561.8610 or request an appointment online.