Dr. Upshur Spencer attended medical school at Georgetown University and completed his residency at Harvard. He joined Anchorage Fracture & Orthopedic Clinic in 2003, after completing back-to-back fellowships in trauma and spine surgery.
Dr. Spencer’s first fellowship was six months of additional training in orthopedic trauma at Brigham & Woman’s Hospital at Harvard. There he recognized a strong interest in spinal deformities.
His second fellowship was one year of intensive study of the spine at Washington University in St. Louis. Dr. Spencer enjoys helping kids with severe deformities, and seeing them stand straighter after surgery. His spine fellowship gave him the opportunity to learn additional techniques to manage pediatric scoliosis and master adult spine problems caused by degeneration and trauma.
Dr. Spencer grew up skiing and playing hockey in Rochester, New York. When he saw the notice that Anchorage Fracture & Orthopedic Clinic was looking for a spine surgeon, he jumped at the chance. He enjoys fishing and gardening.
Dr. Spencer is married to Jennifer.
- Spinal surgery (cervical, thoracic, and lumbar), scoliosis, kyphosis, and spondylolisthesis (degenerative and traumatic) and orthopedic trauma
- Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Harvard University, Boston, MA
- Spinal Surgery, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
- Orthopedic Trauma, Harvard’s Brigham and Women Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Alaska State Medical Association
Alaska State Orthopedic Society
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Anchorage Orthopedic Society
North American Spine Society